Sunday, November 22, 2009

(500) Days of Summer

This is the story of boy meets girl. The boy Tom Hanson, grew up believing that he would never truly be happy until he found the one. The girl, Summer Finn, did not share this belief. You should know up front, this is not a love story.
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
Before we dive in, I would like to talk about a few other things not related to this movie. School has started, and I have very little free time, so reviews will now be posted weekly (on Friday Saturday or Sunday depending on how much writing I get done). What I have been considering for a while is several things 1) Instead of writing facebook notes, getting a blog and putting reviews there, 2) doing video blogs instead of writing the movies and possibly adding them to youtube 3) getting a website and posting all my movie things like reviews, upcoming projects, other movie thoughts etc.
So I want to know what you guys think. In addition to writing your thoughts on my review (because I know you all will) please comment on what you suggest I should do in the future.
AAAAAAAAAAND WE’RE BACK
I went to the theater with every intention of seeing Taking Woodstock. However due to the arguments of my friends (and when I say arguments, I mean bitching and moaning), we saw 500 Days of Summer. While in the theater, I came to two realizations. 1) Why bother with Taking Woodstock? Ang Lee is a terrible director. And 2) Wow. This movie is incredible. I shall elaborate on thought number 2. 500 Days of Summer is one of the most original, realistic and interesting movies of the year (since that was the exact statement I used to describe District 9, I will have to be more specific). 500 Days of Summer is real experience of a relationship, the end of a relationship, the attempts to make it work, and everything in between. It is not cliché, nor overwhelming with joy. It’s unique, meaningful, powerful, charming, and overall, very enjoyable.
STORY
We are told a story about a relationship between a greeting card writer/artist/ want-to-be architect Tom Hanson (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), and a secretary/free spirit/artist/bard/cleric,
Summer Finn (Zooey Deschanel). The story is not told in chronological order, and we open midway through the (500) days, or if I want to show off what I learned from Freshman English class, we open “in medias res”, where Tom is in a state of depression because he was dumped. We then skip around to the break-up, the first time they meet, they first time they kiss, the progression of their relationship, their friendly argument about the coolness level of Ringo Starr, to their heated arguments about their relationship and love. (And for the record, I’m with Tom. Ringo sucks.)
This movie captures the attention of their audience with the narrator’s first line ending with “You should know up front, this is not a love story”. The narrator is a deceitful and evil man, who wishes to trick your children. This is a love story. And…..I loved it. This movie is all about love, but in the way that it’s about different perceptions of love, relationships, and life. It is not a romantic-comedy, or at the very least, not like what romantic comedies have been turned into (by the way, Sandra Bullock….stop it). This movie is quite romantic, and quite funny, but its so much more than that. This movie is charming and funny in a very original way. The joy that Tom and Summer experience is so real, that I felt like I was experiencing the same adventures they were (and that takes quite some talent from the writer, director, and actors). Take for example the elevator scene (The one from the trailer for the movie, not the one from Martin Scorcese’s “The Departed”. That is a far different range of emotions I felt there.) The elevator scene was a single shot showing the two in the elevator and she likes the same music he does. It’s something so very simple, so very real, that you cannot help but smile when watching. They have real conversations that real couples would have. (slight spoiler) They play the penis game in the park! It’s so…how could no movie about relationships have that?!
They really like each other, and care about each other, and it’s a beautiful thing. But this movie also shows the harshness of a relationship, and the brutal truth that “the one” will walk into your life. It gives us a philosophy that one must live life, and realize that there is no such thing as fate, or love at first sight, or true love, or the idea that everything that should happen, will. Love is complicated, and often cruel, and ultimately will leave you with nothing but terrible feelings and polluted memories…but we have to do it anyway. It happens.
The unique storytelling is not only involved in the “day-skipping” and interesting view on love, but director Marc Webb makes many interesting scene choices such as splitting a scene into two simultaneous scenes, one of “reality” and one of “expectation”, as well as a fully choreographed dance number (I know, it’s even more awesome than High-School Musical 7: We’re Still Shamelessly Continuing This Franchise Because It Makes Far More Money Than Movies Like Inglourious Basterds Despite the Fact That They Have Real Quality That We Lack: Seriously Movie-Goers Today Are So Stupid and Will Watch Anything). The movie has an “artsy and independent” look about it and although I find it annoying in many movies, this movie is one of the rare exceptions (another exception that comes to mind is Juno if that visual helps). Though really it’s the story of the film that matters, and this movie most definitely gets two thumbs up for it.
Side note: I loved the soundtrack for this. The soundtrack, writing, and directing all are excellent.

CHARACTERS
Gordon-Levitt and Deschanel did not just create characters in this movie. They created a relationship. I cannot stress enough how real this movie is when it comes to relationships, and shows Ian Deming how sad he is to have not enjoyed this experience and instead, stays at home alone all day writing stupid movie reviews (I’m just kidding. The gun isn’t loaded)
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Tom Hanson: Gordon-Levitt plays the embodiment of male emotion (emotion, not action). He isn’t the Dr. Perfect with a P.H.D. in kicking ass and being good-looking. He is a simple person, leading a simple life, and a girl named Summer walks into his life. He is about finding true love, and wanting someone to be with that he can be with forever. He is a likable character, and we follow him through his 500 days, empathizing with him, laughing with him, hating him, loving him, and understanding him. What I found interesting is that not a lot is explained about his character at all, but character development isn’t really needed, because we feel that we have known him our whole life (or he is us…A better looking, more successful, and equally ambitious version of us). That’s the brilliance of this movie and its characters. We never feel like an action is stupid or unlikely because we feel so connected to the characters that we understand everything they do (I mean come on. What guy who has gained new confidence does not look into the mirror and see Han Solo. You are brilliant, movie! Brilliant!) Joseph Gordon-Levitt wins. Nuff said.
Zooey Deschanel as Summer Finn: Now, if I again want to show what I learned from over 2 years of English class at my school, it’s that women are better people than men. Now if there is one thing that I have learned from romantic comedies, it’s that women treat Sex and the City as the Bible, the Bible tells them that they must find a man without flaws, and must have an amazing chest, an English accent, fangs, or is the most popular boy in school (Now I say this jokingly but that seriously covers most Matthew McConaughey movies, all Hugh Grant movies, Many Sandra Bullock movies, High school musical, Twilight, and all Twilight rip-offs [What living person could possibly have any dignity in ripping off Twilight is beyond me])…..Now since English class has taught me one thing, and romantic-comedies have taught another, I must believe that one is lying (and the 500 days narrator has lied before.) Now that my jokes are completely exhausted, and I have no idea what I’m talking about, let’s start talking about Zooey Deschanel’s performance.
Summer is another very likable character, and like Tom is depicted in the opposite way that cardboard- I mean characters are in romantic-comedies. She is a free spirit, and is all about living in the moment, and doing what you love (and if one person comments “then she must love Tom” I will hunt you and kill you in a way that Hugo Stiglitz would be proud of). Deschanel is a bit typecast for this role, but it doesn’t bother me. Her roles are interesting. I feel like I can relate to her character as well, but quite frankly, she was more interesting in Tom, so her lack of character story bothered me a bit. Regardless she does an excellent job.
Tom’s friends: I’m too lazy to look on imdb for their names. Rest assured, they do their job well enough. They are a bit cliché but it’s all good. It didn’t hinder the movie. They added some funny material. Good for you.
Chloe Moretz as Tom’s……sister?: the movie is quite unclear about her relation to Tom, but its assumed it is his sister. She’s good too.
OVERALL
Despite criticizing true love, and magical happy endings and greatness, (500) Days of Summer, ironically enough, was magical in its greatness. Its one of the best romantic comedies/romance movies I’ve ever seen. Granted, its no Eternal Sunshine, but it is damn good. Characters you care about, an interesting story, and unique way of telling that story and showing those characters makes this movie indescribably awesome (I know its contradictory since I’ve just described it, but trust me when I say that I haven’t at all captured the true meaning and quality of story in this review). So I absolutely recommend this movie. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll fall in love, and you will walk out of the theater deep in thought.
Right then, I’m dangerously tired right now, so if you’ll excuse me, I have a sleep to fall bed in.
Final Rating: 8.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment